A studio induction is necessary to ensure you can find your way around the studio space; find where everything is; the safe use of equipment, fire safety, emergencies, etc. You have to pre-book an induction along with your first independent studio session.
You may also feel the need of some additional tuition to confidently work independently. This will also need to be arranged in advance. It can be booked on an hourly basis rather than having to commit to paying for a half day or full day (unless you feel the need).
If you want to try a printmaking media you haven't done before, you can sign up to do one of my courses or book a 1-2-1 session. A 1-2-1 session will supersede the need for an induction as well.
Health and Safety
My responsibility & Yours.
Studio users and I have joint responsibility to take reasonable care for health and safety, yours and others, working in my studio.
- To report any accident in which you are involved, in accordance with the studio procedures.
- To read the safety policy and risk assessments when emailed out to you before you start. They contain important information for your safety and that of others.
- To bring a signed copy to your first session as proof that you have read and understood the contents.
- To familiarise yourself during your induction with:
- The fire precautions/escape.
- Collection and return of keys
- The lock up procedure.
- Provision of emergency contact details. In an emergency, you will need a mobile phone – there is no landline.
- Disposal of oily/solvent rags – they DO NOT go out in the general waste as it constitutes a fire risk.
- To have your own public/products liability insurance. The Artist Information Company offer cover included in their membership fee. Or Network Artists Northumberland also provide insurance.
- To book friends and/or family to work in the studio if you want to share your studio session. They can only be there if they have booked and paid to use the studio. They will need an induction session if they haven’t already attended one of my workshops. My insurance policy (and rent agreement) does not allow for unauthorised users or casual visitors.
- To clear it with me before you bring your own materials, in order to comply with the requisite copies of COSHH certificates which you will need to bring in for me to keep in my Health & Safety file.
- Ditto any unusual equipment requires a risk assessment to be filled out and kept in the file.
- To keep an accurate log of any materials you use. The price list is in the studio file. Settle up either at the end of a session or the end of a block of 4 sessions.
- For regular studio users – Please give at least one month’s notice if you want to stop your sessions to give me time to find a new person.
- Your feedback about how to improve things is especially welcome.
Carol Nunan May 2017
Category: STUDIO SESSIONS.
Tags: 1-2-1 tuition, carol Nunan, Collagraph, collagraphs, collograph, handmade print, handmade prints, hexham, linocut, monotype, Northumberland, Ono-to-one tuition, Open access, original print, print, printmaking, printmaking course, reduction linocut, relief prints, studio access, Supported sessions.